New to Live Theatre? Let's Talk Proper Theatre Etiquette!
Here are some tips that will help you and those around better enjoy your experience.
(Compiled by the Brazos Valley Theatre Collective)
1. Be on time by being in your seat 10 minutes before the performance is scheduled to begin. Live theatre begins at the published performance time with a darkened theatre and actors frequently in the aisles ready for entrances. Latecomers will be seated at the discretion of the theatre and in locations chosen by the theatre.
2. Remain seated until intermission and until curtain calls are completed to allow performers free access to the exits. If an emergency requires leaving your seat, please remain outside the theatre until allowed to return by the theatre’s volunteer staff.
3. Silence or turn off all electronic devices, including cell phones, beepers, and watch alarms. You are encouraged to share your theatre experience via social media, but you must refrain from sharing or texting during the performance. The glow from all media is easily discernible in the dark theatre and is distracting to your neighbors and the actors.
4. Video and flash photography of live performances is not allowed. Community theatres in the Brazos Valley do not purchase the rights to tape live performances. Actors will generally be available for photographs after the show.
5. For students seeking class credit for attending performances, the Theatre Collective of the Brazos Valley provides a stamp for proof of attendance. To have your ticket stamped, please come by the box office at the end of the performance. StageCenter asks that you recycle your programs with us for reuse rather than keeping them to turn in, and has notified professors as such. The stamped ticket should suffice.
6. Please refrain from talking during the performance.
7. Please refrain from placing personal effects on the stage. This includes refreshments and feet.
Your courtesy is much appreciated as it allows for the ultimate experience of theatre productions for all our patrons.